One of the reasons Tim and Stacy love Chicago so much is there is always something fun to do! Here are some ideas for visitors to the Windy City:
- Open House Chicago: the weekend of Tim and Stacy's wedding happens to coincide with this annual event. The Chicago Architecture Foundation’s Open House Chicago is a FREE public festival that offers behind-the-scenes access to more than 200 buildings across Chicago. Take advantage of this opportunity to explore the hidden gems and architectural treasures of Chicago’s diverse neighborhoods.
- Wendella Boat Tours: this is one of Tim and Stacy's favorite activities to do with out-of-towners! If the weather is nice, you can enjoy a narrated tour on the Chicago River and/or Lake Michigan (depending which option you choose) to see and learn about Chicago's famous architecture and fascinating history.
- Museum-hopping: The Blackstone Hotel is located right near Chicago's museum campus. Get your Ferris Bueller on at the Art Institute, home to many world-famous works of art. If science is more your thing, visit the Jurassic World dinosaur exhibit at the Field Museum, and if you like space as much as Stacy's Dad, you can check out the Adler Planetarium. Or you can catch a dolphin show at the Shedd Aquarium...endless options!
- Willis Tower: Formerly known as the Sears Tower, this building is the 2nd tallest in the US, and 16th tallest in the world. You can check out the Skydeck and walk out on a glass floor balcony 103 floors above the streets for incredible views of the city...if you dare :)
- Enjoy a walk in the park(s): Across the street from The Blackstone is Grant Park, with beautiful gardens and the famous Buckingham Fountain (featured in Tim and Stacy's save-the-date cards). Just down the street is Millennium Park, where you'll find The Bean. This reflective silver bean-shaped icon cries out for touristy photos. We won't judge.
- Shop til you drop: The Blackstone is located on Michigan Avenue, also known as Chicago's "Magnificent Mile." Just north of the river along Michigan Avenue you'll find all your favorite stores. State Street, just west of the hotel, also has lots of fabulous shopping (and you can get a photo by the famous Chicago Theater!)